Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Zucchini Banana Walnut Bread

I had bananas and zucchini that were on their way out if I didn't act quickly. It did not take long to get an idea. I had never combined the two in bread before but I thought, why not? Essentially I took a little from zucchini bread recipe and a little from banana bread recipe and made some killer bread. Mine came out looking like it might be on steroids and took much longer to bake than normal, so I'm going suggest you make two loaves with this recipe.

Zucchini Banana Walnut Bread
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1/3 cup of soy milk
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
2-3 bananas
1 1/2-2 cups shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup of canola oil
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

The first thing you do for any baking endeavor is oil your cooking apparatus. I use a organic canola spray. So get your bread pans oiled down and set your oven to 325 degrees.

For some reason I find that soy-buttermilk makes vegan bread so much more delicious. I don't know the science behind, but it just makes everything better. So make your soy-buttermilk first by combining the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and give it a couple of whisks. Set this aside and combine all of your dry ingredients. Then add your mashed bananas and shredded zucchini to your soy-buttermilk concoction. Try to get the lumps out of the bananas as best as possible. Then you'll add your vanilla and canola oil. You can use another type of vegetable oil but I don't suggest olive oil for baking. After all your wet ingredients are combined, add them to your dry ingredients and combine thoroughly. Add your chopped walnuts and now this is good to pour into your prepared bread pans.

Cook at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It's ready to come out when a tooth pick comes out clean. If it takes longer to bake, so be it, but don't take it out early, the middle will not be cooked all the way through. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment