Fried Tofu Veggie Sandwich
1 package extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 avocado mashed
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of hummus
Few slices of cucumber
Few slices of tomato
Few slices of red onion
12 thin slices of cheddar cheese (mine were about 1/2 a centimeter thick)
2 leafs of romaine lettuce coarsely chopped
6 slices of your favorite bread toasted (I used sprouted Ezekiel Bread)
The first thing you want to do is take your tofu out of the package and drain it. Just dump out the water in the package. Put a couple of sheets of paper towels on a plate, place the tofu on top and cover with any plate with a heavy object on top of it (I used my bottle of canola oil). Let this sit for about 20 minutes. What this does is gets rid of a lot of the excess water, which will shorten your frying time. Next, you want to cut your tofu into slices that are about 1 centimeter thick. Heat your oil in a frying pan and pan fry your tofu. This took me about 7 minutes a side. Just keep your eye on it and make sure it doesn't stick to the pan. Essentially, you want your tofu to have a nice golden color, like this:
Once your tofu is done frying, you want to mash your avocado and add your salt to it. Then you're ready to assembly! Slather some of your avocado mixture on one slice your toasted bread and slather some hummus on your other slice. You can stack your ingredients however you like. My sandwich went avocado, 2 slices of tofu, 4 slices of cheddar cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, lettuce and hummus. It was so delicious. Mwah, enjoy!
Sounds delicious! And lots of cheese, too!
ReplyDelete-steve
I have to concur... I never imagined myself vegetarian but I have been exploring the idea recently. I lack the imagination to make anything as tasty as this. Very cool.
ReplyDelete